Wayfinding is a fundamental part of signage. Whether exterior or interior, a well-designed wayfinding system can help your patients, visitors, customers and/or staff find their way and move around effectively in often confusing environments.
L&H Sign Company has a 22-year history of managing complex wayfinding signage projects. With a team of skilled craftsmen and engineers, we can offer customers throughout the nation the creativity, technical proficiency and fabrication expertise for designing and building directional/wayfinding signs, monument signs, illuminated indoor or outdoor signs, scoreboard signs, ADA regulatory signs, and any other type of branding/advertising signage you need for your business.
Here are a few examples of L&H Sign Company exterior wayfinding projects:
- Orlando Regional Medical Center: The flagship medical facility for Orlando Health needed intuitive signage. In partnership with FMG Design, L&H Sign Company fabricated and installed exterior branding and building identification signage, emergency room identification and direction signage.
- Coca-Cola Park: Large sports and entertainment venues can be challenging to navigate without well-designed signage. Take a look at the stadium wayfinding signs and environmental graphic designs we did for Coca-Cola Park, home to the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs, the Triple-A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies.
- Philadelphia Zoo – This wide-ranging project involved a makeover of the zoo grounds and the addition of an effective wayfinding signage system. L&H Sign Company fabricated the exterior wayfinding signs, parking identification signs and monument signs that now welcome visitors.
- Please Touch Museum – This colorful exterior wayfinding project was a collaboration of L&H Sign Company and Design Communication Inc. from Montreal for the Please Touch Museum in the Philadelphia area. The playful shapes and colors created a feeling of family fun for the brand.
- Lebanon Valley College – This project involved campus pedestrian and vehicular wayfinding systems as well as prominent welcome signage that featured the college’s logo and branding. Complete campus map graphics at primary entry decision points with cantilevered sign faces added a dimensional aspect to the design.
Common Wayfinding Signage Mistakes
As businesses, hospitals, school campuses, and other facilities grow and expand, wayfinding and directional signs are often added with little thought to placement and visibility. Here are three of the most common mistakes:
- Clustering. In an attempt to satisfy every issue in a given environment, e.g., speed, security, safety, advertising, etc., wayfinding information often fights for space with everything else. Grouping different types of signs together at appropriate, but different, decision points can prevent information overload.
- Poor legibility. Many signs are impossible for drivers to read when they are traveling along at 30 miles per hour. Fonts, typography, and even the wording you choose are crucial as you try to deliver important information quickly, from a distance.
- Poor planning. Wayfinding signs are only helpful when they provide the visitor with directional information at key decision points. L&H Sign Company has the expertise to analyze your environment and help you plan your signage placement to make it the most effective.
L&H Sign Company can meet the specific needs and requirements you have for exterior wayfinding signage as well as all of your other architectural signage requirements. We invite you to check out our portfolio of work, and call us today at (610) 898-9600 to find out more about our unique solutions.