Signs are a prominent communication tool, and effective wayfinding signage design, a specialty of L&H Sign Company, can help your employees, visitors and customers navigate through even the most confusing environments with a sense of confidence, safety, and security.
With a 63,500 square foot facility in Reading, PA and a team of skilled craftsmen and engineers, L&H Sign Company has the creativity, technical proficiency and fabrication expertise to design and build everything from simple hospital door signs to complex airport wayfinding signage for businesses throughout the Mid-Atlantic region and across the U.S.
What is Wayfinding Design?
Wayfinding design is the process of designing signals to help people navigate an environment, whether they are on foot or in a vehicle. The process is a combination of art, craft and psychology, and may involve signage, color, typography, lighting, architecture, and a range of other factors.
When the design is well-executed, wayfinding helps people easily get to and from their intended destinations without really noticing how they did it.
Our Wayfinding Expertise
L&H Sign Company’s award-winning designs appear in many different types of environments, including hospitals and healthcare facilities, school campuses, office complexes, sports venues, shopping malls, banks, and zoos and amusement parks, and are custom-designed to create excellent visibility for your brand. Examples of our wayfinding projects include:
- Notre Dame of Maryland University – L&H Sign Company fabricated and installed and extensive exterior wayfinding and building identification project for this Baltimore campus.
- Coca Cola Park – L&H Sign Company fabricated and installed the architectural signage, including interior and exterior wayfinding signs, for this stadium that is home to the Lehigh Valley (PA) Iron Pigs, the Triple-A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies.
- Chester County Hospital – L&H Sign Company designed, fabricated and installed a variety of wayfinding signage for this hospital in West Chester, PA that included overhead directory signage, donor recognition plaques, wall-mounted directory signage, evacuation map signs, patient room signs, and emergency exit signs.
Types of Wayfinding Signs
Wayfinding can encompass several different types of signage, including:
- Directional signs that point the way to various locations. They can be simple or complex, and usually appear at junctions or along a route to lead the way to a particular place. They keep people or vehicles moving toward something.
- Identification signs that identify a location. This may include signs that identify the name of a building, as well as eye-catching monument signs that mark the entrances to shopping centers, corporate centers, hospital facilities and entertainment complexes.
- Informational signs that provide useful information about a location, such as hours of operation or safety hazards, occupants, historical facts, whether Wi-Fi is available, and so on. Included in this category are museum signage and donor recognition signs.
- Regulatory signs that tell people what they can and cannot do in a location. They ensure safety and inform people about rules and restrictions, such as parking, speed limits and smoking policies. This category includes OSHA and ADA regulatory signs.
Implementing a wayfinding system takes expert analysis, master planning and a well thought-out process of implementation. Read the L&H Sign Company article about the steps involved in our development of healthcare wayfinding systems to learn more about our process.
With a 63,500 square foot facility and skilled craftsmen and engineers, we have the creativity, technical proficiency and fabrication expertise to design and build everything from simple hospital door signs to complex museum wayfinding signage for companies across the nation.
To improve the navigation of your facility or design a brand new wayfinding signage system, consider the exceptional capabilities of L&H Sign Company. Get in touch with us at (610) 898-9600 to find out more.